Rarities and Renovations from the English Tradition
Wild Goose WGS312CD
Launched in July 2003, Sharp Practice is
from English traditional music record label
Wild Goose records.
Four songs are from Cecil Sharp's own collections, hence the
title. Many of Mary's songs have been pieced together
from mixed sources (so maybe that's the real reason for the
title!). Some have never been recorded before, and even
the familar titles may not be the versions you expect but they
are all from traditional sources.
Anahata has contributed some cracking English dance tunes from
the 17th century to the present day, in arrangements ranging
from solo melodeon to full band.
The album features:
- Mary Humphreys
vocals, banjo, English concertina, piano
- Anahata melodeons, anglo concertina, cello
- Dave Holland fiddle
- Gina Holland flute, recorder
How to Buy a Copy
You can buy a copy online right now if you have a UK credit or debit
card. Buy CDs Online
Sharp Practice is also available in the usual outlets at folk
festivals, and from high street
shops that carry traditional English folk music. New reduced
price (because we're on a repeat pressing now)
See Wild Goose Ordering
page for details of overseas purchasing.
You can also buy direct from us at our
gigs, of course.
"This CD is a real treasure. Exquisite in every detail..."
Review on the Netrhythms web site.
The MP3 links are very short (15-30 second) extracts.
- The Mermaid + Marmalade Polka
- No my Love not I (when Fishes Fly)
- Jenny Bell Polka + Carrion Crow
- India War + Jack's Health
- Barb'ry Ellen
- Dunmow Galumph + Danbury Hill
- Young Banker + Rosie
- Sheath and Knife
- Marsden Hornpipe + London Hornpipe + Stoney Steps
- Pride of the Season
- Windsor Tarrass + Mississippi Mud
- Spotted Cow
- Waltz for the Veleta + Faithful Sailor Boy